BYLAWS OF THE CATALYSIS CLUB OF CHICAGO
BYLAW I – Name
The name of this organization shall be: “THE CATALYSIS CLUB OF CHICAGO”
BYLAW II – Objectives
The principle objectives of the Club shall be:
1. To foster discussion of significant advances in the fields of catalysis and reaction mechanisms.
2. To provide opportunities for members to present, for discussion, their own work in the above fields.
3. Generally to advance knowledge in the fields of catalysis and reaction mechanisms.
4. To engender a feeling of fellowship and unity among the scientists and engineers of the Chicago area interested in the field of catalysis and related subjects.4
BYLAW III – Membership
Membership in this Club shall be open to all who are genuinely interested in achieving the objectives in Bylaw II and who indicate their desire to join and pay the annual dues.3,4
BYLAW IV – Officers
1. The officers of the Club shall be a President, a Vice-President (or President-elect), a Secretary, a Treasurer, and a Representative to the North American Catalysis Society. At the discretion of the Executive Committee, a single person may serve as Secretary-Treasurer.4
2. The duties of the President shall be to call and preside at meetings of the Club, and to undertake or to delegate, such as to committees, those actions which are deemed necessary to achieve the objectives of the Club or to carry out the policies of the Executive Committee.
3. The duties of the Vice-President shall be to assume the duties of the President in his/her absence and to serve as the Program Chairman or Chairman of the Program Committee during the year immediately following the election.2,4 The Vice-President (or President-elect) shall automatically succeed to the Presidency.
4. The duties of the Secretary shall include keeping a list of members, sending to members such notice as the business of the Club (excepting bills for dues) may require, notifying members of the time and place of meetings, keeping minutes of the business meetings, and taking care of such correspondence as the business of the Club requires.
5. The duties of the Treasurer shall be to collect the dues of the Club and to handle all financial matters pertaining to the business of the Club, subject to approval by the Executive Committee. The Treasurer shall also maintain 501(c3) status, file the necessary federal tax forms, and insure the Club’s compliance with not-for-profit corporation requirements within the State of Illinois.4
6. The Executive Committee shall consist of the officers of the Club and the Board of Directors.4 They shall adopt and recommend to the President for execution those policies and plans which will best further the achievement of the objectives of the Club.
7. One member shall be elected to serve as Representative to the North American Catalysis Society, whose duty will be to provide liaison between the local club and the North American Catalysis Society.1,3,4
8. The Board of Directors shall consist of the immediate Past-President, and two elected Directors.4
BYLAW V – Elections
1. The fiscal year of the Club shall be September 15th to September 14th.5 Elections shall be held before the last meeting for any given year.3 A previously appointed nominating committee shall present a slate of two candidates for each office. Further nominations may be made from the floor. The elections shall be conducted by the Secretary, with two assistants appointed by the President, unless the Secretary happens to be a nominee. In such case, the President shall appoint a substitute.
2. All officers shall serve for one fiscal year except the Representative to the North American Catalysis Society shall serve a term of four years where the re-election year coincides with that for the President of the United States.3,4 Each of the two Directors shall serve for two fiscal years with elections in alternating years.4
BYLAW VI – Dues
Members of the Club shall pay annual dues of a nominal amount to be decided by the Executive Committee.4 The Club will subsequently pay annual dues to the North American Catalysis Society on behalf of each member in good standing.4 Dues of members are payable in advance. Donations may also be solicited from industrial organizations in order to defray expenses of guest speakers.
The frequency and nature of the meetings of the Club shall be at the discretion of the Executive Committee with a minimum of four meetings per year. Any costs to the Club associated with organizing a given meeting can be passed, in part or in whole, to those members and non-members who express a willingness to attend such meetings.4
BYLAW VIII-Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in Robert’s Rules of Order (Revised) shall govern all meetings of the Executive Committee and business meetings of the Club.
These Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members present and in good standing, provided the proposed changes have been read or distributed in writing or otherwise communicated in a digital format at the immediately preceding meeting.4
|Adopted:||November 6, 1950|
|Amended:||1. October 17, 1966|
|2. February 9, 1970|
|3. February 19, 1979|
|4. May 20, 2002|
|5. August 22, 2003|